Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Parmesan Brussels Sprouts - Ready in 20 minutes

I have been on a cooking kick this week (I'm trying to tackle side dishes,) and found another deliciously simple recipe for Parmesan Brussels Sprouts on Allrecipes.com (which apparently is my favorite website?) 

I have been opposed to brussels sprouts for pretty much the last 25 years but my taste buds have recently changed! I can hardly believe it... all of a sudden I like red wine and brussels sprouts... but I'm not complaining :) (PS did you know brussels is supposed to have an "s" on the end? I've thought it was "brussel sprouts" my whole life!)

For the original recipe, please visit this page. I've made a few notes and modifications below.

What you'll need: 
1 tablespoon of butter
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon of butter
6 brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (I bought mine already halved and ready at Trader Joe's)
1 tablespoon of butter (*here the recipe calls for a third tablespoon of butter, but for the sake of calories and not clogging my arteries I opted out)
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or more to taste (I did not use 2 tablespoons, I just sprinkled it as I saw fit)
salt and ground pepper to taste 

Directions:
1. Heat a frying pan over medium heat until hot, 3 minutes. Melt 1 tablespoon butter; cook and stir garlic until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon butter and brussels sprouts, cut-side down; cover and cook until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. 

2. Flip brussels sprouts; add 1 tablespoon butter* (this is where I opted out of the third tablespoon of butter and my dish turned out delicious!) Cover and cook until other side is browned, about 3 more minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt, and black pepper. 

I found that the garlic got a little burned toward the end of cooking the second side, but don't be discouraged - the brussels sprouts still taste great. Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese or leave some on the table for guests to sprinkle on themselves and you are good to go! 

I think I'm going to make this AND cream corn for our Memorial Day party in a few weekends! Do you have any family favorite side dishes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio