Thursday, May 14, 2015

Sloppy Joes - ready in 45 minutes

For my third recipe of the week I chose Ree Drummond's Sloppy Joes which I found here on the FoodNetwork.com. (You probably know Ree as The Pioneer Woman!) My coworker randomly mentioned Sloppy Joes today and I realized I had not thought about Sloppy Joes in YEARS and I actually really like them! So I thought I'd try making them from scratch. I'm really happy with how they turned out (they are just so MESSY so I ended up eating mine with a spoon as well as by trying to pick it up.) This recipe is again, really easy. Anyone could breeze through it! :) Also I honestly don't think this took 45 minutes, but that's partially because I was preparing/dicing as the meat was cooking. It probably took closer to 35-40?

The recipe below includes some modifications I made, so for the original recipe, please go here!

What you'll need:
2 lbs of ground beef (original recipe calls for 2 1/2)
1 large green bell pepper, diced (I used about 2/3 of 1 large pepper)
1/2 large onion, diced
1 1/2 cups of ketchup
4 cloves of garlic, minced (original recipe calls for 5)
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder (or more as needed)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
8 kaiser rolls (I just used a potato hamburger bun because those are my favorite! And then packed up the other 7 servings of this recipe in the fridge for later, lol)
*(the original recipe also calls for red pepper flakes, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, which I did not use)

Directions:

Start by browning the ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat. (I used a spatula to separate the meat.) Drain off the fat.

Add in the green peppers and onions. Stir, and then add 1 cup water, the ketchup and garlic. Stir it around to combine, and then add the brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard (red pepper flakes, and hot sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste if you decide to use those. I thought my SJ was spicey and delicious enough without it.)  Stir to combine, and then cover and simmer over medium-low heat, about 20 minutes.

Original recipe has you butter the rolls and brown them, but I just put my potato bun in the microwave to thaw it (it was frozen). You could also pop it in the toaster.

Spoon a good amount of the SJ mixture onto the bottom roll and then top with the other half and you're done!!

See how quick and easy that is? I'm really happy with how this recipe (with my modifications) turned out. This is the perfect summer party or barbeque food. I was concerned that they might not turn out right because I messed with the portions ( 2 1/2 lbs of meat is just a LOT) but it turned out fine, they weren't too runny or anything.

If you make them, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio